Home   Logon   Mobile Site   Research and Commentary   About Us   Call 1.800.621.1675 or Email Us       Follow Us: 

Search by Ticker, Keyword or CUSIP       
 
 

Blog Home
   Brian Wesbury
Chief Economist
 
Click for Bio
Follow Brian on Twitter Follow Brian on LinkedIn View Videos on YouTube
   Bob Stein
Deputy Chief Economist
Click for Bio
Follow Bob on Twitter Follow Bob on LinkedIn View Videos on YouTube
 
  Industrial production was unchanged in January
Posted Under: Data Watch • Industrial Production - Cap Utilization

 
Implications:  Today's report on the factory sector was very deceptive. Industrial production was unchanged in January, which was much less than the consensus expected. But prior months were revised up by 0.6%. More importantly, overall industrial production was held down by a steep drop in utility and mining output. Warm weather means less energy use. Taking out utilities and mining leaves just the manufacturing sector, which rose 0.8% in January and 1.4% including upward revisions for prior months. The January surge was led by a 6.9% gain in auto production. Excluding autos, which are volatile from month to month, manufacturing still increased a solid 0.4%. Higher production is making factories use higher levels of capacity. Utilization in manufacturing is now at 77%, the highest since April 2008 and near the 20-year average of 77.7%. As capacity use moves higher, firms have an increasing incentive to invest in more plant and equipment. Meanwhile, corporate profits and cash on the balance sheet show they have the ability to make these investments. In other news today, the Empire State index, a measure of manufacturing activity in New York, increased to +19.5 in February from +13.5 in January. As recently as October, the index was -7.2. On the housing front, the market index from the National Association of Home Builders, which measures their confidence, increased to 29 in February, beating consensus expectations and the highest reading since 2007. As recently as September, the index was 14. The bottom line is that US manufacturers and home builders both have reason to cheer.

Click here for a printable version.
Posted on Wednesday, February 15, 2012 @ 11:19 AM • Post Link Share: 
Print this post Printer Friendly

These posts were prepared by First Trust Advisors L.P., and reflect the current opinion of the authors. They are based upon sources and data believed to be accurate and reliable. Opinions and forward looking statements expressed are subject to change without notice. This information does not constitute a solicitation or an offer to buy or sell any security.
 
The information presented is not intended to constitute an investment recommendation for, or advice to, any specific person. By providing this information, First Trust is not undertaking to give advice in any fiduciary capacity within the meaning of ERISA, the Internal Revenue Code or any other regulatory framework. Financial professionals are responsible for evaluating investment risks independently and for exercising independent judgment in determining whether investments are appropriate for their clients.
First Trust Portfolios L.P.  Member SIPC and FINRA. (Form CRS)   •  First Trust Advisors L.P. (Form CRS)
Home |  Important Legal Information |  Privacy Policy |  California Privacy Policy |  Business Continuity Plan |  FINRA BrokerCheck
Copyright © 2021 All rights reserved.