Home   Logon   Mobile Site   Research and Commentary   About Us   Call 1.800.621.1675 or Email Us       Follow Us: 

Search by Ticker, Keyword or CUSIP       
 
 

Blog Home
   Brian Wesbury
Chief Economist
 
Click for Bio
Follow Brian on Twitter Follow Brian on LinkedIn View Videos on YouTube
   Bob Stein
Deputy Chief Economist
Click for Bio
Follow Bob on Twitter Follow Bob on LinkedIn View Videos on YouTube
 
  Personal income increased 0.1% in August
Posted Under: Data Watch • PIC

 
Implications:  The plow horse economy continues to push through the mud at the same modest pace.  Consumer spending grew a healthy 0.5% in August, with consumers picking up more nondurable goods, probably a reflection of aggressive "back-to-school" buying.  "Real" (inflation-adjusted) personal consumption was up 0.1% and, despite downward revisions to prior months, is 2% higher than a year ago.  Respectable, but far from spectacular.  Income gains were tepid in August, with disposable (after-tax) income up only 0.1%.  However, real disposable income is up 1.8% from a year ago, which is enough to keep pushing consumer spending higher.  Income gains are not due to artificial support from government transfers, which declined 0.1% in August.  Real (inflation-adjusted) transfers are up only 1.2% in the past year, while real private-sector wages and salaries are up 2.9%.  In other words, transfers are now holding down the growth rate of income.  However, households' financial obligations – recurring payments like mortgages, rent, car loans/leases, as well as other debt service – are now the smallest share of income since 1984.  This allows consumers to stretch their income gains further.  On the inflation front, overall consumption prices were up 0.4% and the core PCE, which excludes food and energy, was up 0.1% in August.  Overall prices are up 1.5% in the past year while core prices are up 1.6%.  Both are below the Federal Reserve's target of 2%, but they are awfully close for a central bank with a very loose monetary policy.  Expect higher inflation in the year ahead.  In other news this morning, the Chicago PMI, which measures manufacturing activity in that region, fell to 49.7 in September from 53.0 in August, the lowest level since September 2009.  Given this report as well as other data, we forecast that the ISM Manufacturing report will come in at 49.7 for September, up only slightly from 49.6 in August.

Click here for the full PDF.
Posted on Friday, September 28, 2012 @ 10:38 AM • Post Link Share: 
Print this post Printer Friendly

These posts were prepared by First Trust Advisors L. P., and reflect the current opinion of the authors. They are based upon sources and data believed to be accurate and reliable. Opinions and forward looking statements expressed are subject to change without notice. This information does not constitute a solicitation or an offer to buy or sell any security.
 
The information presented is not intended to constitute an investment recommendation for, or advice to, any specific person. By providing this information, First Trust is not undertaking to give advice in any fiduciary capacity within the meaning of ERISA and the Internal Revenue Code. First Trust has no knowledge of and has not been provided any information regarding any investor. Financial advisors must determine whether particular investments are appropriate for their clients. First Trust believes the financial advisor is a fiduciary, is capable of evaluating investment risks independently and is responsible for exercising independent judgment with respect to its retirement plan clients.
First Trust Portfolios L.P.  Member SIPC and FINRA.
First Trust Advisors L.P.
Home |  Important Legal Information |  Privacy Policy |  Business Continuity Plan |  FINRA BrokerCheck
Copyright © 2017 All rights reserved.