Home   Logon   Mobile Site   Research and Commentary   About Us   Call 1.800.621.1675 or Email Us       Follow Us: 

Search by Ticker, Keyword or CUSIP       
 
 

Blog Home
   Brian Wesbury
Chief Economist
 
Click for Bio
Follow Brian on Twitter Follow Brian on LinkedIn View Videos on YouTube
   Bob Stein
Deputy Chief Economist
Click for Bio
Follow Bob on Twitter Follow Bob on LinkedIn View Videos on YouTube
 
  Nonfarm Payrolls Increased 173,000 in August

 
Implications: Even by the loose standards of the monetary doves, the Federal Reserve should start raising interest rates this month. The unemployment rate fell to 5.1% in August, the lowest since early 2008 and right in the middle of the range the Fed believes is the long-term average. Some doves have argued that due to the deep recession the Fed should use loose money to temporarily push the jobless rate below the long-term average. But, with the current stance of policy, the unemployment rate is down a full percentage point from a year ago. It takes time for changes in policy to affect the economy, so even if the Fed starts raising rates today, the momentum from loose policy so far means the jobless rate is already set to dive well below the long-term average. Today's employment report showed continued improvement in the labor market. At 173,000, payroll growth came in a little short of consensus expectations. But the first report for August is usually revised up substantially. Remember August 2011, when the initial report was zero growth in payrolls? Two months later it was revised up to 104,000. This August was the 66th month in a row with growth in private payrolls, the longest streak since at least the late 1930s. Civilian employment, an alternative measure of jobs that includes small-business start-ups, increased 196,000 this August. Meanwhile, the total number of hours worked rose 0.4% in August and is up 2.7% from a year ago. Combined with wages per hour up 2.2% from a year ago, workers' total cash earnings are up 4.9%. No wonder auto sales are booming, hitting the highest level since 2005. Also, notice again the deafening silence from those who used to bemoan the rise in part-time jobs. Part-time employment is down 765,000 in the past year even as total jobs are up. However, all the good news doesn't mean everything is right. The participation rate remained at 62.6% in August, tying the lowest level since 1977. Three key factors are holding down participation: aging Boomers, easily available disability benefits, and overly generous student aid. The bottom line is that the economy in general and labor market in particular would be doing better with a better set of policies, like lower tax rates, less government spending, and lighter regulation. That's why we have a Plow Horse economy rather than a Race Horse economy. It's not the boom of the 1980s or 1990s – not even close – but it continues to move forward.

Click here for PDF version
Posted on Friday, September 4, 2015 @ 9:55 AM • Post Link Share: 
Print this post Printer Friendly

These posts were prepared by First Trust Advisors L. P., and reflect the current opinion of the authors. They are based upon sources and data believed to be accurate and reliable. Opinions and forward looking statements expressed are subject to change without notice. This information does not constitute a solicitation or an offer to buy or sell any security.
 
The information presented is not intended to constitute an investment recommendation for, or advice to, any specific person. By providing this information, First Trust is not undertaking to give advice in any fiduciary capacity within the meaning of ERISA, the Internal Revenue Code or any other regulatory framework. Financial advisors are responsible for evaluating investment risks independently and for exercising independent judgment in determining whether investments are appropriate for their clients.
First Trust Portfolios L.P.  Member SIPC and FINRA.
First Trust Advisors L.P.
Home |  Important Legal Information |  Privacy Policy |  Business Continuity Plan |  FINRA BrokerCheck
Copyright © 2019 All rights reserved.