Home   Logon   Mobile Site   Research and Commentary   About Us   Call 1.800.621.1675 or Email Us       Follow Us: 

Search by Ticker, Keyword or CUSIP       
 
 

Blog Home
   Brian Wesbury
Chief Economist
 
Click for Bio
Follow Brian on Twitter Follow Brian on LinkedIn View Videos on YouTube
   Bob Stein
Deputy Chief Economist
Click for Bio
Follow Bob on Twitter Follow Bob on LinkedIn View Videos on YouTube
 
  Personal Income Increased 0.4% in May
Posted Under: Data Watch • Employment • PIC

 
Implications: Don't let anyone tell you that workers aren't earning enough to keep increasing their spending. Private-sector wages & salaries increased 0.5% in May and are up 4.3% from a year ago. Total income – which also includes rents, small business income, dividends, interest, and government transfer payments – increased 0.4% in May and is up 3.5% from a year ago. Yes, government transfer payments – like Medicare, Medicaid, Social Security, disability, unemployment compensation – are still an unusually large share of income. These transfers were roughly 14% of income before the recession and peaked at 18% right after the recession. But for the past few years, they've been hovering around 17% of income. We'd like to see this share decline to where it was before the recession (or go even lower!), but these payments have not been the driver behind income gains the past few years. Consumer spending grew 0.2% in May and declined slightly when adjusted for inflation. But, given income gains, we expect a solid increase in consumer spending in June and for both income and spending to accelerate in the year ahead. Job growth continues and, as unemployment gradually declines, employers will offer higher wages. In addition, consumers' financial obligations are hovering at the smallest share of income since the early 1980s. (Financial obligations are money used to pay mortgages, rent, car loans/leases, as well as debt service on credit cards and other loans.) On the inflation front, the Federal Reserve's favorite measure of inflation, the personal consumption price index, was up 0.2% in May, the same as "core" consumption prices, which exclude food and energy. Overall consumption prices are up 1.8% in the past year, approaching the Fed's 2% target. As recently as October 2013 PCE prices were up only 0.8% from a year ago and we expect to hit the 2% target later this year, putting pressure on the Fed to start raising interest rates in the first half of 2015. In other news this morning, new claims for unemployment insurance declined 2,000 to 312,000. Continuing claims for jobless benefits increased 12,000 to 2.57 million. As a result, we expect payroll gains of roughly 200,000 for June.

Click here for a PDF version
Posted on Thursday, June 26, 2014 @ 11:09 AM • Post Link Share: 
Print this post Printer Friendly

These posts were prepared by First Trust Advisors L.P., and reflect the current opinion of the authors. They are based upon sources and data believed to be accurate and reliable. Opinions and forward looking statements expressed are subject to change without notice. This information does not constitute a solicitation or an offer to buy or sell any security.
 
The information presented is not intended to constitute an investment recommendation for, or advice to, any specific person. By providing this information, First Trust is not undertaking to give advice in any fiduciary capacity within the meaning of ERISA, the Internal Revenue Code or any other regulatory framework. Financial professionals are responsible for evaluating investment risks independently and for exercising independent judgment in determining whether investments are appropriate for their clients.
First Trust Portfolios L.P.  Member SIPC and FINRA. (Form CRS)   •  First Trust Advisors L.P. (Form CRS)
Home |  Important Legal Information |  Privacy Policy |  California Privacy Policy |  Business Continuity Plan |  FINRA BrokerCheck
Copyright © 2022 All rights reserved.