Home   Logon   Mobile Site   Research and Commentary   About Us   Call 1.800.621.1675 or Email Us       Follow Us: 

Search by Ticker, Keyword or CUSIP       
 
 

Blog Home
   Brian Wesbury
Chief Economist
 
Click for Bio
Follow Brian on Twitter Follow Brian on LinkedIn View Videos on YouTube
   Bob Stein
Deputy Chief Economist
Click for Bio
Follow Bob on Twitter Follow Bob on LinkedIn View Videos on YouTube
 
  Nonfarm Payrolls Increased 321,000 in November
Posted Under: Data Watch • Employment

 
Implications:  Dynamite report on the direction of the labor market.  Not only were the headlines very good, but the details were strong as well, including higher wages, shorter job searches for unemployed workers, and more workers quitting their jobs confident they'll be able to find a better one.  Nonfarm payrolls grew 321,000 in November, easily beating the consensus expected 230,000 and higher than any forecast from any economics group.  Payrolls grew in every major sector and exceeded 200,000 for the 10th straight month.  Although civilian employment, an alternative measure of jobs that includes small-business start-ups, rose only 4,000, the number missing work due to bad weather was 153,000 compared to an average of 81,000 in the past twenty Novembers, so we expect a better number next month.  Also, civilian employment is very volatile from month to month and was up 683,000 in October.  The unemployment rate remained at 5.8% as the labor force expanded 119,000 and the labor force participation rate remained at 62.8%.  The participation rate is the same as the average for the past eight months, suggesting it's (finally) leveling off.  The details, however, are what make this report so strong.  First, the median number of weeks of unemployment fell to 12.8, the lowest so far in the recovery. Second, the share of quitters among the unemployed increased to 9.1%. This indicator is important as Fed Chair Yellen has used it in the past as a sign of worker confidence.  Third, and perhaps most important, was a 0.4% increase in average hourly wages, the largest gain in 17 months.  Some analysts have been saying the Fed needs to see faster wage growth before it starts raising short-term rates. Well, there they go.  Combined with a 0.6% increase in total hours, total cash earnings were up 1% in November, the most for any month since 2006, and are up 4.8% versus a year ago.  These gains are much faster than the roughly 1.5% increase in consumer prices and show growing consumer purchasing power.  Despite modest inflation, the growing strength in the labor market supports our forecast that the Fed will start raising short-term rates in the first half of next year. At the December meeting in two weeks, look for the Fed to remove the "considerable time" language in its statement (regarding how long it will keep short-term rates near zero).  Although the labor market is far from fully healed, those pre-disposed to gripe about it are finding it harder and harder to find data to complain about.  Better policies would certainly have resulted in faster job growth the past several years.  But nonfarm payrolls are up 228,000 per month in the past year and we expect more job growth, less unemployment, and faster wage growth in the year ahead.



Click here for a PDF version

Posted on Friday, December 5, 2014 @ 11:35 AM • Post Link Share: 
Print this post Printer Friendly

These posts were prepared by First Trust Advisors L.P., and reflect the current opinion of the authors. They are based upon sources and data believed to be accurate and reliable. Opinions and forward looking statements expressed are subject to change without notice. This information does not constitute a solicitation or an offer to buy or sell any security.
 
The information presented is not intended to constitute an investment recommendation for, or advice to, any specific person. By providing this information, First Trust is not undertaking to give advice in any fiduciary capacity within the meaning of ERISA, the Internal Revenue Code or any other regulatory framework. Financial professionals are responsible for evaluating investment risks independently and for exercising independent judgment in determining whether investments are appropriate for their clients.
First Trust Portfolios L.P.  Member SIPC and FINRA. (Form CRS)   •  First Trust Advisors L.P. (Form CRS)
Home |  Important Legal Information |  Privacy Policy |  California Privacy Policy |  Business Continuity Plan |  FINRA BrokerCheck
Copyright © 2021 All rights reserved.