Home   Logon   Mobile Site   Research and Commentary   About Us   Call 1.800.621.1675 or Email Us       Follow Us: 

Search by Ticker, Keyword or CUSIP       
 
 

Blog Home
   Brian Wesbury
Chief Economist
 
Click for Bio
Follow Brian on Twitter Follow Brian on LinkedIn View Videos on YouTube
   Bob Stein
Deputy Chief Economist
Click for Bio
Follow Bob on Twitter Follow Bob on LinkedIn View Videos on YouTube
 
  Personal income increased 0.2% in April
Posted Under: Data Watch • PIC

 
Implications: The American consumer keeps buying. In fact, spending has accelerated of late. Personal consumption is up 4% from a year ago, but up at a 5.9% annual rate in the past three months. Most of these gains are supported by higher incomes, up 2.8% versus a year ago and at a 4% annual rate in the past three months. In addition, spending is getting a boost from a drop in households' financial obligations – recurring payments like mortgages, rent, car loans/leases, as well as other debt service – which are now the smallest share of income since 1984. Meanwhile, government transfers have become only a minor factor behind consumption growth. Private sector wages and salaries are up 4.1% in the past year, while transfer payments are up only 0.4%. On the inflation front, overall consumption prices are up 1.8% in the past year, but have accelerated over the past three months to 2.2% at an annual rate, slightly above the Fed's supposed target of 2%. The Fed's favorite gauge of inflation – core PCE, which excludes food and energy – is up 1.9% from a year ago, just ever so slightly still below their target. Given healthy spending patterns and inflation already close to their target, the Federal Reserve still has no justification for another round of quantitative easing.

Click here for a PDF version.
Posted on Friday, June 1, 2012 @ 10:37 AM • Post Link Share: 
Print this post Printer Friendly

These posts were prepared by First Trust Advisors L.P., and reflect the current opinion of the authors. They are based upon sources and data believed to be accurate and reliable. Opinions and forward looking statements expressed are subject to change without notice. This information does not constitute a solicitation or an offer to buy or sell any security.
 
The information presented is not intended to constitute an investment recommendation for, or advice to, any specific person. By providing this information, First Trust is not undertaking to give advice in any fiduciary capacity within the meaning of ERISA, the Internal Revenue Code or any other regulatory framework. Financial professionals are responsible for evaluating investment risks independently and for exercising independent judgment in determining whether investments are appropriate for their clients.
First Trust Portfolios L.P.  Member SIPC and FINRA. (Form CRS)   •  First Trust Advisors L.P. (Form CRS)
Home |  Important Legal Information |  Privacy Policy |  California Privacy Policy |  Business Continuity Plan |  FINRA BrokerCheck
Copyright © 2021 All rights reserved.